Job location: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Created moment: December 19, 2023
Job reference: REQ – 07769
The world’s leading supplier of mineral-based specialty solutions for industry with 14,000 employees, operations in more than 40 countries, and €4.3 billion in revenue in 2022.
Imerys delivers high-value-added, functional solutions to a great number of sectors, from processing industries to consumer goods. The Group draws on its understanding of applications, technological knowledge and expertise in material science to deliver solutions by beneficiating its mineral resources, synthetic minerals and formulations. Imerys’ solutions contribute essential properties to customers’ products and their performance, including heat resistance, hardness, conductivity, opacity, durability, purity, lightness, filtration, absorption and water repellency. Imerys is determined to develop responsibly, in particular by fostering the emergence of environmentally-friendly products and processes.
If you want to grow your skills and develop your career, find out more at www.imerys.com
Process Development Scientist
Role: Process Development Scientist Hours: 40h M-F Location: Stenalees, Cornwall
Would you like to be involved in Europe’s first integrated Lithium production facility?
The joint venture between Imerys and British Lithium:
Imerys British Lithium (IBL) is a joint venture between Imerys S.A. and Lithium Assets Ltd., formerly British Lithium, developing a world class micaceous lithium resource in Cornwall. IBL have developed unique, patented technology for the sustainable recovery of battery grade lithium carbonate from micaceous granite, with the goal of building the world’s first integrated lithium mine, beneficiation plant and refinery producing 20,000tpa of lithium carbonate – enough to support production in the UK of 350,000 electric vehicles per year.
The role: You will develop and improve novel process technologies for extracting, refining and purifying lithium from micaceous granites. The role is responsible for the successful execution of bench-scale trials and provision of scientific design data for the British Lithium Project.
This will involve dialogue with design engineers, and project stakeholders in defining, specifying and de-risking the process technology that will deliver lithium carbonate product to the market.
Your main responsibilities: You will undertake bench-scale trials and experiments in the Metallurgical Laboratory and within the Pilot Plant areas, including sample collection, analysis, data collection and data recording whilst being;
- A member of the Process Development team, conducting laboratory bench-scale metallurgical and process chemistry test work at either British Lithium in-house facilities or external laboratories.
- Ensuring the safe operation of laboratory equipment, contribution to sustaining capital and improvement capital requests, logging and recording trial and analytical data, and technical reporting of the outcomes of bench-scale trials.
- You may be required to deputise for the Person in Charge (PIC) of the Metallurgical Laboratory facility and equipment, or a sub-area thereof.
- Undertaking basic maintenance and calibrations of laboratory equipment.
- Coordinating samples for analytical assays, including collecting, labelling, and shipping.
- Ensuring the safe storage, use and disposal of chemicals in the laboratory. This includes updating COSHH records and contributing to COSHH Risk Assessments.
- Contributing to reviewing, developing and maintaining QA/QC polices for the collection, testing and analysis of samples, ensuring proper chain of custody.
- Developing experimental programmes to support process engineering design activities.
- Producing technical memoranda, progress reports and technical report sections for key Project phases.
- Undertaking sample collection, sample preparation, drying, filtration, splitting, crushing, pulverising, pelletising, pXRF testing.
What we ask you in return: You will ideally be experienced in mineral and chemical process technologies within a mining environment.
- Have a degree level qualification in Chemistry or an earth science
- Have experience of working in a process laboratory environment, with knowledge of inorganic chemical processes and lithium chemistries
- Have knowledge of health & safety standards and COSHH regulations and, ideally, have a vocational health and safety qualification
- Working knowledge of process design for mineral and chemical processes.
All roles within Imerys British Lithium require flexibility and ability to adapt. During periods of extended operating campaigns, intense activity and / or reduced staff availability, the role may be required to undertake any activities to support the project, subject to adequate competency for specialist tasks
What’s in for you? You will be working for Imerys, the world leader in mineral-based specialty solutions for industry, with over 16,000 employees and over 200 sites worldwide. Imerys delivers high value-added, functional solutions to diversified sets of industrial sectors, from processing industries to consumer goods. We support your professional development including training, costs, offering a competitive salary and other benefits such as;
- Company sick pay entitlement after 6 months service,
- Life Assurance,
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan,
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays,
- Income Protection for DC members,
- Long Service awards,
- Reward Hub & Local Discounts,
- Flu Vouchers,
- Car Salary Sacrifice Scheme,
- Health & Wellbeing Programme, Eye Care Vouchers,
- Cycle to work scheme and
- Endeavour club (off site gym) to help you stay fit and healthy.
Our people are important to us, our workplaces are diverse and inclusive and whilst maintaining the health, safety and environmental standards on site, for yourself and others around you, we’re an organisation with a wealth of career and development opportunities that allow you to tap into your full potential.
To apply, please visit https://imerys.com/careers/jobs/req-07769
Full time and Permanent
Only technical issues will be monitored through the below inbox:
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES OR APPLICATIONS TO THIS EMAIL, AS THEY WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only applications received through the online application process will be considered.
IMERYS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws.